No - A visa is not required for travel to Japan

Sunday, February 23, 2020

A visa is not required to transit through Japan. The traveler must be in possession of a passport valid for 6 months beyond travel dates, a round-trip or onward ticket, and a valid visa for the next destination (if required).


Passport Requirements:

Original, signed passport valid for 6 months beyond stay in Japan, and with at least one blank passport page available for Japanese stamp(s).


Proof of Travel Arrangements:

Confirmed round-trip or onward airline ticket.


Hotel Confirmation:


Hotel confirmation and e-ticket must come directly from airline and hotel. Travel agency and third-party itineraries will not be accepted. If staying with friends or relatives, you must:

  • Provide a letter of invitation from your host
  • Include a copy of the host's passport information page
  • Include a copy of the front and back of the host's Japanese residence card (if non-Japanese citizen).
  • Include a copy of the host's military employment verification letter (if military personnel)


Letter of Employment :


If you are currently employed, you must provide an employment letter. The letter must:

  • Be printed on original company letterhead
  • Be hand-signed by an authorized company authority (electronic or scanned signatures are not accepted)
  • Include your position
  • Include your duration of employment
  • Include your salary details

Note: if you are traveling for tourism, your letter must also:

  • State that you are strictly traveling strictly for tourism
  • Include your vacation dates from work


Other Requirements:

Valid onward destination visas (if applicable).

Register your trip with the US Embassy:

The US State Department strongly encourages American citizens planning international travel to register with the US Embassy(s) in the countries they plan to visit. For just $20.00 per traveler, Travisa will complete the State Department Registration for the applicant. Official notifications about travel advisories and warnings will be sent to the traveler registered.

Click here to register your trip with the US Embassy in Japan